Download Your EPF Passbook With These Simple Steps
Employees have the option to download the EPF passbook or the UAN passbook from the EPFO website. However, they must first activate their Universal Account Number (UAN). The EPFO assigns the UAN number to an employee which can be retrieved either from the employer or from the monthly payslip.
Table of Content
The EPF passbook is a PDF document which is available online and contains the details of all the contributions done by the employee and their employer towards the EPF and EPS accounts.
Like a bank passbook, the EPF passbook has details of all the contributions done every month, along with interest, if any, to their EPF account of the beneficiary.
If an individual has more than one EPF account, they will contain a separate EPF member passbook or EPFO member passbook for every account. These EPF accounts could be accessed by the EPF member by logging into the EPFO member account.
EPF Passbook Online
Apart from the monthly EPF contribution details, the EPFO passbook also contains different employee details, such as their EPF account number, Establishment ID, Employer’s name, EPF scheme and pension scheme details, the EPF office details, and so on.
The employee also has the option to download the EPF passbook or the UAN passbook from the EPFO website. However, they must first activate their UAN or Universal Account Number. The EPFO assigns this UAN number to an employee. The employee can get the UAN either from their employer or in their monthly payslip. An employee can also visit the UAN portal to get their UAN. So now that you have your UAN number and an EPFO account, let us check out how to download EPF passbook.
How to download EPF passbook
An individual can easily view and download EPF passbook by logging into the EPFO website. Before that, the individual must first complete the following steps to view and do an EPF or UAN passbook download online.
- The individual has to complete the UAN registration by going to the EPFO web portal to get the EPF passbook service.
- The EPF passbook service will be available to the individual after six hours of completing the UAN activation or registration process. It takes six hours for any changes submitted on the EPFO portal to get updated on the system.
- The passbook entries should be consistent in value with the one entered by the field offices of the EPFO.
- Settled members, employees of Exempted Establishment, and inoperative EPF members are not eligible to get the EPF passbook or UAN member passbook service.
The passbook of EPF can be downloaded in the following steps:
Step 1: Visit the EPFO web portal.
Step 2: On the website, you will find an option ‘e-Passbook’ on the right side of the screen. Click on this option.
Step 3: A new webpage will open, where you have to enter your UAN number, password and the Captcha code for verification.
After you have entered the details, hit ‘Login’.
Step 4: On the new webpage, you will see your member ID. if you have multiple EPF accounts, then you will see all your member IDs displayed on this part of the webpage. Select on the appropriate member ID for which you want to download EPF passbook.
Step 5: Once you click on the member ID, the EPF statement will appear on the screen, which will contain all the relevant details along with the monthly contribution done towards the EPF and EPS account.
This EPF statement is commonly referred to as EPF passbook. You can download this passbook in PDF format, or you can simply take a printout of the same.
Details mentioned in the UAN passbook
The PF Member passbook contains the details as mentioned below:
- Name of the member and Member ID
- EPF Account number: It will be a unique alpha-numeric code which represents the state of registrant, regional office, code of establishment, and the member code.
- UAN: Universal Account Number is a unique identifier for EPFO transactions. It is mandatory for each member to have UAN.
- Employer name and Establishment ID
- Name and type of the EPFO office
- Date of birth and date of joining the organization
- Monthly contribution: Withdrawal and depositary contribution by the employer and employee. The EPS contributions are shown separately.
- Opening balance: This represents the total balance in the EPF account along with interest earned in the previous fiscal year.
- Interest rates: The EPF interest amount is credited to the employee’s account by the end of the year. The rate of interest in which the interest amount is calculated will be mentioned in the passbook.
- Closing balance: Total contribution and interest amount for the financial year. The closing balance will be carried forward to the next year’s opening balance.
- Voluntary Provident Fund: Every EPFO member has the capability to contribute more than the fixed share towards the EPF fund. The excess contribution is termed as VPF (Voluntary Provident Fund) and is mentioned separately in the EPF passbook.
The statement also contains the date and time the passbook was printed. This detail is specified at the bottom of the passbook.
Benefits of EPFO e-Passbook
EPFO e-passbook can be accessed through the EPFO portal, from anywhere, anytime. It saves time and offers flexibility to access the EPF records seamlessly. UAN is mandatory for accessing the e-passbook. The EPF records can be used for retirement planning and checking the payment details from the employer end. If there’s any error, e-passbook can be used to verify the details and correct them promptly. EPF members can download the e-passbook from the portal even after changing jobs. It acts as a permanent proof of your EPF investments.
PF Passbook – FAQs
- When does the EPF passbook get generated online?
The EPF passbook gets generated in up to six hours after a successful UAN registration on the EPFO website.
- Who is eligible to download EPF Passbook?
Only the registered EPFO members can avail the service to view and download their EPF passbook.
- Do the EPF passbook entries get validated by the EPFO?
All the mentioned entries are reconciled in EPFO field offices and then updated on the EPF passbook.
- How much time will it take for the online updates to reflect on the EPF passbook?
It will take approximately six hours for any changes or updates done on the EPFO portal to reflect on the EPF passbook.
- What is the file format in which the EPF passbook gets downloaded? Do you need a password to view the contents of the file?
The EPF passbook is downloaded in the PDF format. It is not a password-protected document, so you can open the document without needing a password. Remember, your EPFO passbook login password is strictly confidential and must only be used while logging into the EPFO portal, nothing else.
- Who is not eligible to avail the e-passbook online service?
The EPF passbook service isn’t available for every entity. The following category of entities or employees or members are not eligible for the EPF passbook online service:
- Settled members
- Inoperative members
- Members of Exempted Establishment
- Can you access your passbook without the UAN?
UAN is mandatory to log into the EPFO account, access the e-passbook, and download it. So, you must first register with your UAN number on the EPFO portal. And after six hours, you can access your EPF passbook.
- What to do if you forgot the EPF login password?
If you forget the password, then you must go to the EPF unified member portal, select the reset password option and provide a new password for your EPFO account. Once you activate your new password, you will be able to log in again with the new password. With the simple steps mentioned above, you can view and download your EPF passbook from the EPFO web portal.
- What is meant by ‘Member ID’ mentioned in the EPF passbook?
Member ID (identification number) or PF account number is the unique number provided by EPFO to authorise the employer to submit EPF and EPS contributions for the employee. Member ID and PF number of the member should be identical.
- How to track an inoperative EPF account?
EPFO’s Inoperative Account Help Desk handles such queries and requests. There is a link provided on the home page of the membership portal to access the same. Once you access the helpdesk webpage, you can either proceed as a first time user or view status of the application using the existing user login.
Online Hearing – The New Initiative of EPFO
August 03, 2020: EPFO is planning to conduct an online hearing soon through e-court. The software development for the process is at the testing stage. The initiative is put forth in the objective of reducing the pending cases. The authorities are planning to target one month disposal of all the existing pending cases via the online court.
The EPFO has started trial of online hiring in Karnal, Haryana. After the completion, the software will be used in Delhi and UP. About 10,000 new and old cases are currently pending in UP alone.
“In the Corona era, social distancing will be effective with the e-court system. Instead of coming to the EPF for the hearing, the company’s lawyers, officials will settle the cases through video conferencing. This arrangement will be implemented in offices in UP in a phased manner.” Says Sukhdev Prasad Mishra, EPFO board member regarding the new initiative.
Subscribe For Newsletter
Subscribe to get the latest news and happenings around recruitment space