How to Check EPF Balance Online
Every employee, who is an EPFO member, will be provided with an online EPF member passbook. This passbook shows the total amount deposited in the PF account of the employee and the monthly contribution details of both parties. Today, you can perform an EPF balance check online as well as offline.
Table of Contents
The EPF or Employee Provident Fund plays a vital role in the financial life of an employee. It is a retirement fund that is bolstered by an equal contribution every month from the employee and their employer. Every employee, who is an EPFO member, will be provided with an online EPF member passbook. This passbook shows the total amount deposited in the PF account of the employee and the monthly contribution details of both parties.
For employees of a corporation, performing an EPF balance check has become easier. Now the employees don’t need to see the annual EPF statement shared by their employer to do their EPF balance check. They can do their EPF balance check online as well as offline in four simple ways:
- EPFO Web portal
- Use the UMANG app
- Send an SMS
- Give a missed call
Let us look at these methods in detail.
PF balance through EPFO web portal
An employee, who is an EPFO member, can now get their EPF balance from the EPFO website. The employee can do their PF balance check with UAN number on the EPFO web portal.
- Step 1: Go to the EPFO portal.
- Step 2: Go to “Our Services” on the menu bar and select “ For Employees”. A new page will open on your screen.
- Step 3: Then, go to the “Services” menu and select “Member Passbook”. A new login page will open on your screen.
- Step 4: On the login page, enter your “UAN”, “Password” and the Captcha code for verification and hit Login. The UAN number is also commonly termed as EPF balance check number.
- Step 5: Once you have logged in, a new page will appear which will display all the Member IDs of every account linked to your UAN. So, if you have had different EPF accounts with any previous employer, they all will reflect on this page along with your current employer’s EPF account. It is important to note that you cannot do an EPF balance check without UAN number.
- Step 6: Select the relevant Member ID of the EPF account for which you wish to do an EPF balance check online. The applicable EPF member passbook will be displayed on your screen. You have the option for a UAN passbook download or EPF passbook download.
An EPFO member can also do their EPF balance check on mobile number with the help of the government centralised app, called ‘UMANG’ which is an acronym for Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance. Through this app, the Government of India aims to provide all its government services under one roof. In order to access the app and check the EPF balance on their phone, the EPFO member has to register their mobile number, which is linked to the UAN. You can check your EPF balance in the UMANG app in the simple steps mentioned below.
- Step 1: Install the UMANG app from the App Store/Play Store. Or click here to download the app.
- Step 2: Open the UMANG app and select “EPFO”.
- Step 3: Choose the “Employee Centric Services” option.
- Step 4: Select the “View Passbook” option to check the EPF balance.
- Step 5: Then, enter the UAN and select the “Get OTP” option. An OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number. Enter this number and select the “Login” option.
- Step 6: Choose the appropriate Member ID to view the relevant EPF balance.
- Step 7: Next, your EPF passbook will appear on your mobile, which will display your PF balance.
Sending the SMS
The EPFO member can now simply send an SMS to 7738299899 to check the EPF balance and last contribution amount. The SMS must be sent in the ‘EPFOHO UAN ENG’ format.
To elaborate, if the EPF balance UAN number is 123456, and the language of preference is English, then the SMS to be sent is “EPFOHO 123456 ENG”. Here the first three letters of the language form the language code. For English,it is ENG; for Hindi it is HIN and so on.
Currently, the SMS facility allows for the below languages:
Note: The SMS facility is only available if the UAN is active and linked to the bank account, Aadhar and PAN. If the UAN is not linked, then the individual needs to first complete the KYC process before sending the SMS to know the balance.
Give a missed call
The easiest method in which an EPF member can view their EPF balance is by simply giving a missed call to “011-22901406”. But the EPFO member must fulfil the below requirements in order to use the missed call facility:
- The EPFO member should possess an active UAN number.
- The mobile number of the EPFO member has to be registered with the UAN, and the member can give the missed call only from the registered mobile number.
- The UAN should be linked to other documents, such as Bank Account, Aadhaar and PAN.
Ways to check EPF balance of private trusts/ exempted establishments
If it is an exempted establishment or private trusts, then the EPF contribution is transferred to the trusts managed by the company, rather than getting transferred to the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation. In this case, only the trust managed by the company can provide information about the PF balance of an employee. EPF accounts, managed by exempted establishments, do not contain a common method of PF balance checking with the EPFO. Further, the EPFO is in no way linked to such EPF accounts, and neither do they provide any EPF passbook check benefit for these EPF members.
As per the Employee Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952, eligible employers or companies are given the liberty to manage their specific EPF schemes for the employees. Examples of exempted establishments are mainly large corporations, such as HDFC, Godrej, Infosys, TCS, Wipro, Nestle, so on and so forth. Such organisations have an in-house EPF trust. And hence, they don’t need to contribute their EPF corpus to the EPFO.
Such exempted establishments normally manage their EPF corpus with different trusts they own. However, the government expects these trusts to provide more returns in comparison to the funds managed by EPFO. The same EPF contribution rules apply to private trusts too.
The employees of exempted enablements can check out their PF balance in these four ways:
- Check payslip or PF slip: Employees of many such big establishments receive their salary slips from the company through internal emails. Their payslips contain their EPF balance. Few companies, however, provide EPF slip along with the salary slip. In this EPF slip, the employees would find their EPF balance and the monthly contribution.
- Check the employee portal of the company: Many such large corporations create and maintain their own company website for their employees. Their employees can sign in to the EPF section to check the EPF balance. TCS and Wipro are examples of such organisations which provide an online facility to their employees to check their EPF balance and get the EPF statement.
- Contact the HR department of the company: Employees can contact the HR department of their company. This is because they handle the EPF of the employees and are the right people to provide better details about EPF balance.
- Track your EPF contributions: An employee can also keep a record of the monthly contributions towards the EPF by regularly checking the salary slip and calculating their EPF balance. Employees can utilise the rate of interest as set by EPFO to calculate their EPF amount annually. Remember that a fixed amount( up to ₹1250/month) is contributed towards the employee’s EPS account.
Ways to check EPF balance for inoperative EPF accounts
As per the Government of India notification dated November 2016, dormant accounts will no longer be listed as inoperative. Instead, they will continue accruing interest like normal active accounts. EPFO had earlier stopped making interest payments to dormant EPF accounts since the year 2011. However, once the November 2016 amendment came into effect, every inoperative EPF account started accruing interest. The interest rate was 8.8% annually.
Earlier, EPF accounts went inoperative owing to two main reasons:
- The process of transferring the EPF account is tedious
- Employees prefer to open a new EPF account when they switch jobs
A gap in communication between the previous and the current employer of the individual largely contributes to such a situation. In such cases, if an employee is unable to find any details of old inoperative EPF accounts, those individuals can contact the EPFO helpdesk to get their EPF balance in old accounts transferred to their currently active accounts.
Frequently asked questions
1) Can an employee check their EPF balance in their previous company?
Yes. An individual can check out their final EPF balance in their previous company. The individual has to sign in to the EPFO portal with the help of their UAN (Universal Account Number) and Password, and then select the appropriate Member ID to view the EPF balance of their previous company. All different member IDs that appear on the web portal are linked to the individual’s EPF accounts from their different previous employers.
2) Can you check your EPF balance with the help of the PAN number?
No. The EPF balance cannot be checked with the help of the PAN number. To check EPF balance, you need a UAN. However, to enjoy various services and benefits of EPFO, you need to feed the PAN details into your EPF account.
3) Can you check EPF balance with Aadhaar number?
You cannot check your EPF balance by using your Aadhaar number. You can check your EPF balance online by only using your UAN.
4) Can you check your EPF balance via an SMS without linking UAN to your mobile number?
The SMS facility is available only on the registered mobile number. So, you must get your mobile number registered with your UAN to check your EPF balance via SMS. This is because information about EPF balance is messaged only to registered mobile numbers.
5) Can you check your EPF balance by giving a missed call from an unregistered number?
No. To check your EPF balance, the number from which the missed call is made has to be registered with your UAN. Therefore, you must mandatorily link your 10-digit mobile number with your UAN to avail the missed call service.
6) Can you check your EPF member balance by using your PF number?
You will need your UAN details to log in and check your EPF balance online. Thus, PF number isn’t required to check EPF balance.The information collated above is all you need to know about checking EPF balance online and EPFO balance inquiry. It is better to keep the same EPF account number, even if you change the jobs, as it will be easy for EPF calculations.
7) How to download EPFO ‘m-sewa’ app?
Earlier, EPFO had provided the ‘m-sewa app’ to all the members to check the balance and other details. The facility is now discontinued. However, you can check the EPF balance using UMANG (Unified Mobile APP for New Governance). The UMANG app can be downloaded from play store or app store and from the UMANG official website.
8) How to avail a loan against my PF balance?
You can avail a loan against your EPF balance based on the years of your service. You have to submit Form 31, which will show your EPF account number, salary and other details, to your employer and the employer should apply for the loan directly to EPFO along with other relevant documents.
9) Can I withdraw my complete PF balance at one go?
You can withdraw your PF corpus completely after two months of unemployment. Also, you can withdraw up to 75% of your EPF corpus after one month of unemployment. Tax exemption on PF withdrawal is valid only after 5 continuous years of EPF membership.
10) How to download EPF balance details?
You can download the EPF account statement, which will have EPF balance details as well as other information, using the e-passbook facility available on the EPFO website. You need to register with EPFO to view and download the balance statement. Here are the steps to download your EPF passbook/statement:
- Login to the membership portal using your mobile number
- Click on ‘download e-passbook’.
- Select PF office from the list.
- Enter the company PF code.
- Enter your PF account number.
- Complete the PIN verification using the registered mobile number.
- You will get your e-passbook on the page after 3 working days.
- You can download the statement afterwards.
Subscribe For Newsletter
Subscribe to get the latest news and happenings around recruitment space