Table of Content
If you have been a tax-paying salaried person in India, then you will know that you can easily file your income tax returns (ITR) from the income tax portal. The income tax e-filing portal also enables taxpayers to learn of deduction details, check refund status, and e-verify returns. However, all this is made simple only and only if you have certain pre-requisites. You will find them listed below –
- A valid email ID
- An active Indian mobile number
- Permanent Account Number (PAN)
- Residential address proof (Passport, Utility bills, etc)
As an individual taxpayer, if you have all of these requisites, registering, and logging in to the income tax department portal is very easy.
Registering with the Income Tax Department (ITD) portal
Once you have the required information as listed above, you can go ahead and begin the registration process. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to go about doing it –
Step 1: Navigate to the income tax department portal and click on “Register Yourself”. It should be located on the right side of the main page of the website
Step 2: Once you click on it, the website will prompt you to select any one of the following –
- Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)
- Other than individual
- External Agency
- Chartered Accountants
- Third-Party Software Utility Developer
You would be selecting “Individual” as you’re registering yourself on the income tax department portal and will use the same for filing your income tax return as well.
Step 3: After step number two you will be asked to fill in some basic information like your full name, PAN number, Surname, Middle Name, Date of Birth, and Residential Status. Fill everything and then click “Continue”.
Step 4: Post clicking “Continue” you will be redirected to a registration form that will allow you to create a password, username, etc. Click on “Submit” once you’re done.
Step 5: Once you click “Submit” you will receive a six-digit OTP both on your phone and email ID. If however, you had selected “Non-Resident Individual”, you will receive the OTP in your email ID only. Input it before 24 hours as it will then expire and you will have to restart the entire process.
There you go! So go ahead and register on the income tax portal now and complete your income tax registration process officially.
Logging in to the income tax department portal
Now that you have successfully learned how to register yourself on the income tax department portal, let’s look at how to log in –
Step 1: Open the income tax e-filing portal which you visited for registration
Step 2: As you have already registered with the income tax department, you can head directly to the button that says “Login” on the top right corner of the webpage.
Step 3: Once you have entered the login page you need to input your username and password that you created during registration and just click “Login”
Note: The user ID will be different for different user types. If you had selected Individuals/HUF/Other than Individuals then the user ID will be your PAN number
Step 4: After you click “Login” there will be a small window that will ask you to enter a “captcha value” which is nothing but a security check. If you are visually challenged in any way, you can use the OTP option which will send you an OTP to your registered phone number instead of a “captcha value” that you need to enter.
That’s it! You’re logged in! Now go ahead and file your ITR or upload documents according to your requirements. As you can see, the digitisation of the entire process has made things a lot simpler if you don’t understand the tax process completely.
If you are going with online income tax calculators who promise to file your returns as well, be careful when you do your research as there are lots of dubious ones that you would like to avoid.
Login to e-filing portal via Internet Banking
E-portal of Income Tax allows individual tax assessee to log on to the e-filing portal through interface of internet banking of major banks in India. Currently, this facility is only available to those who have updated their PAN details with their respective banks.
- Visit eportal through your bank’s net banking page
- This page showcases a list of banks that offer Income Tax login through their net banking platform.
- Click on your Bank’s name to access the netbanking portal
- Log in to your account with your net banking details ie, id and password
Reset the Income Tax E-filing portal password
You can easily recover your eFiling portal password if your mobile number linked with Aadhaar is with you. Other than OTP verification, the IT department provides 3 more ways to reset your password. Follow these steps to retrieve your forgotten or lost password.
- Go to Income Tax Filing portal home page
- In the right hand side you’ll get to see a subsection ‘Forgotten Password’
- Click ‘Reset’
- On the next page enter you portal id viz you PAN number
- Fill up the captcha code and click ‘Continue’
- On the next page select your feasible way to change the password. The options available are;
- Answer secret question (as set at the time of Income Tax e-filing portal registration)
- Upload DSC (Digital Signature Certificate)
- Using e-Filing OTP
- Using Aadhaar OTP
- Once you choose the feasible option, you can either upload documents or enter OTP to change the password.
- Make the new password stronger by adding alphanumerals and symbols.