ITR Status – Table of Content
You can now check your ITR status online by simply login into the e-filing portal. Considering the number of services provided by the portal, you may find yourself confused about where to go and what to do.
We have created this step-by-step guide that helps you navigate the portal and check your ITR status online. Before we proceed, let us first understand what ITR status is.
What is the income tax return status?
After an individual has filed and verified their income tax returns (ITR) for the given year, they need to know the current level at which the processing of the ITR by the Income Tax Department stands. This is known as the ITR status and the act of verifying it is called the ITR status check. One can check their ITR status online.
It is essential for an individual to check their ITR filing status to ensure that their income tax returns form was accepted and is under processing with the Income Tax Department. Once your ITR application gets accepted and duly processed, you will receive confirmation about the same from the Income Tax Department website. Also, if the individual’s ITR application is liable for any refunds, then it will get processed once the assessment of their ITR Form is completed. Usually, it takes approximately 15 days to complete the assessment thoroughly. Thus, if an individual is expecting some kind of refund post the assessment, then they should check the official portal routinely to stay updated about the status of their income tax returns.
What are the ways to check ITR status?
To make it convenient for the taxpayers, the Income Tax Department has utilised technological resources in providing them access to all services related to taxation online. Hence, an individual can submit their income tax returns form online and also verify the ITR status online on the e-filing website.
Checking your ITR status online is quite simple. You can either do this yourself by following the steps that are mentioned below in this article. Or you can take the help of your registered CA to check the status of your ITR.
Check ITR status online
The process of checking ITR status online is an easy process which can be done by following either of the two simple methods:
- Method #1 — An individual can check the income tax returns status online with the help of the acknowledgement number, which they would have received while filing for the income tax returns, using their PAN number.
- Method #2 — The individual has to log in to the Income Tax Department’s e-filing website with the help of the password and login ID, and then, check the status of their income tax returns applications.
With PAN number and Acknowledgement number
The steps to check the ITR status with the help of the acknowledgement number and PAN number are as follows:
Step 1: Visit the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department of India. On the left side of the page, under “Quick Links”, you will find “ITR Status”. Click on this option.
Step 2: This will lead you to another page, wherein you will be asked to enter the PAN number and Acknowledgement number, followed by the Captcha code for verification. Users, who are visually challenged, can make use of OTP instead of the Captcha. The user will receive an OTP in their registered mobile number.
Step 3: After filling the details as required, click on “Submit”. After you click on the “Submit” button, a new page will open, which will show the status of the income tax returns form.
Logging in into the website
An individual can check the income tax return status by logging into the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department, by following the steps as mentioned below:
Step 1: Go to the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department.
Step 2: Sign in to the website with the help of your “User ID”, “Password” and “Captcha”. After you enter the details, click on the “Login” button. If the individual doesn’t have an account, then they can create one by clicking on the “Register” button.
Step 3: After logging in, you will be directed to the dashboard, where you will find the option of “View Returns/Forms”. Click on this option.
Step 4: A new page will appear on your screen. From the dropdown menu, “Select an option”, choose “Income tax returns”. From the dropdown of “Assessment Year”, select the right year to check income tax returns status. Then, click on the “Submit” button.
Step 5: Once you select the assessment year and hit the “Submit” button, the relevant acknowledgement number will appear on the screen. Click on the acknowledgement number.
Upon clicking on the acknowledgement number, a new page will open on your screen which will highlight the income tax returns status, as shown in the screenshot below.
Similarly, different kinds of status messages may appear on the screen with regards to your ITR status:
- If the status reads as “Submitted and pending for verification”, it means that the individual has filed their ITR returns but has not yet verified it.
- If the status reads as “Verified or Successfully verified”, it means that the individual has submitted as well as verified the income tax returns form. However, the ITR Form has not yet been processed. In this case, the individual has to wait for a few more days for their ITR form to get processed.
- If the status reads as “Processed”, it means that the Income Tax Department has successfully processed the ITR Form of the individual. It also means that refunds, if any, can be initiated and the refund amount will get credited into the bank account of the individual.
- Sometimes, you can also see the status as “Transferred to Assessing Officer” or “Defective”. In this case, the individual has to follow with their designated Assessing Officer in their relevant zone.
With the help of these simple steps, you can check the status of the income tax returns form online. Plus, you can also verify the income tax refund status 2018-19 by entering the correct assessment year.