How to generate, activate UAN?

Universal Account Number (UAN) is a 12-digit number assigned to every member of the EPFO. It helps an employee to obtain and manage information related to their EPF account. Find out EPF applicability details and how the UAN can be generated and activated step-by-step.

As per the provisions of Employees’ Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952 establishments with 20 or more employees must mandatorily register with the Employee Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). Under the Employee Provident Fund (EPF) scheme, an employee is required to pay a minimum of 12% of basic wages towards the scheme. The employer is also required to make an equal contribution to the employee’s account, but not exceeding 12%.

Universal Account Number (UAN) is a twelve-digit number assigned to every member of the EPFO, that helps an employee to obtain and manage information related to their EPF account. An employee may have multiple Member Identification Numbers (Member ID) when they change employer, but the UAN remains the same.

UAN generation

EPFO assigns a unique UAN to every employee at the time of initial registration to the EPF Scheme by the employer. It can quickly be done on the EPFO employer portal, provided the employer has registered the establishment through Shram Suvidha Portal. To register an employee for UAN, the employer has to perform the following steps:

UAN generation

generate new UAN Number

1. Visit Government of India  EPFO Homepage

generate UAN through EPFO Portal

2. Sign in to Establishment using establishment ID and password
3. Click on “Register Individual” tab in the “Member” section
4. Enter the employee’s details such as PAN, Aadhaar, bank details, etc.
5. Approve all details in the “Approval” section.

A new UAN will be generated for the employee which can be easily linked to the PF account. To avoid duplication, the employer needs to ensure that valid documents such as identity proof, address proof, bank details, and Permanent Account Number (PAN) are collected for registration during the employee onboarding, both in the form of soft copy and hard copy for future reference. In case an employee already has a UAN, they just have to let the new employer know of their existing UAN.

It is the duty of the employer to inform the employees of their UAN number. But in case they do not, an employee can obtain their UAN with their Member ID, PAN, Adhaar from the EPFO portal by following the steps below:

1. Visit  Member Home

UAN status

2. Click on the link “know your UAN status”
3. Enter the required details (PAN or Aadhar or Member ID)
4. Click on “Get Authorization Pin” to get an OTP on the registered mobile number.
5. Enter OTP to receive SMS that will include the UAN and its status

UAN activation

An employee can perform UAN activation at the UAN member portal by following the steps below:
1. Visit the UAN eSewa  portal
2. Click on the link “Activate UAN”

UAN Activation3. Enter the required details (PAN or Aadhar or Member ID)
4. Click on “Get Authorization Pin” to get an OTP to the registered mobile number.
5. Enter OTP and click on Activate UAN to make UAN active.

Once the UAN activation process is completed, the member will receive a password in their registered mobile number which can be changed as per their choice.

Using the UAN as user id and password a member can log in to MEMBER e- SEWA to avail the EPF passbook service. The UAN passbook service lets the member keep track and manage their EPF balance from the comfort of their home.

Linking Adhaar to UAN

Online procedure:
1. Visit Member Home
2. Sign in to the MEMBER e-SEWA using UAN and password
3. Select “KYC” under the “Manage” tab
4. Select the option for “‘Aadhaar’”
5. Enter the required details (name and Aadhaar Number)
5. Click “Save”
The process of Aadhaar link is completed when “verified” status is shown next to the Aadhaar number.

Offline procedure:

The offline procedure of linking aadhar to UAN is by visiting any of the EPFO’s branches or Aadhaar CSE (Common Service Centre). There, the member needs to submit a request form with a self-attested copy of their Aadhaar card. Upon verification, it will be done which shall be confirmed by a notification to the registered mobile number.

EPFO has come a long way since its inception in 1952. It has taken various steps along the way from providing a social security service to making EPF claim settlement easier, and UAN is one such significant step.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (1 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

One of the prime contributors for this blog. I have 5 years of experience in SEO, Digital Marketing, Content Marketing, and have knowledge in topics like Tax, HR, Recruitment & Staffing. A free-spirit with a passion for travelling & music.


    1. comment-author
      Rishabh Ranjan

      Hi R Senthilkumar,

      Sadly, as of now there is no online option to change/correct your father’s name. You can get your father’s name changed offline by filling out a joint declaration form, attaching documents and physically submit the same to your employer who will then send it to EPFO.

  1. comment-author
    Gayathri Govindaraj

    After enter Member Id for get UAN number ,it shows as ‘ not UAN found against the entered details ‘ ..

    1. comment-author
      Rishabh Ranjan

      Hi Gayathri,

      EPFO didn’t allot UANs for employees who resigned prior to Dec 2013, In case you’re still employed after December 2013, then you can either contact the employer or send them your correct member id to get UAN.

  2. comment-author
    Mehdi Hassan

    Dear Sir,
    Greetings for the day !!
    I am Mehdi Hassan from Indore, India.
    Nowadays my account is invalid but before one year my PF account is valid and I forget my user id, password and Change the mobile no also sir please help me the withdrawn my pf balance amount. So, I request to you sir please help me.

    With Regards
    Mehdi Hassan

    1. comment-author
      Rishabh Ranjan

      Hi Mehdi Hassan,

      EPF account will not become invalid. You need to give the correct details while seeding login credentials. By resetting the password, you will be able to submit the online PF claim. If an error still occurs, then you can contact the respective PF office and submit the physical claim form.

  3. comment-author

    I sought vRS in october 2004.
    Am I eligible for higher pension?
    I am ready to pay back the difference between my basic at the time of my retirement 9700/- n contribution @ 6000/- to EPFO.As had been offered to banks a few years back n LIC long back.
    My pension is now 1238/- something.
    Eagerly waiting for your reply pls.
    Thanking you in anticipation

    1. comment-author
      Rishabh Ranjan

      Hi Kavita,

      Since you’re already claiming a monthly pension, eligibility of higher pension is doubtful. I suggest you approach your pension disbursement office to get more clarity on this matter.

  4. comment-author
    Mohammed Arif

    Hello sir
    good day

    I am Mohammed Arif I was working one pvt limited company between 2011 to 2014 he deducted EPF every month now at this time i have only my UAN number so any options i am going he was gave the OTP in my old number and my old number was allotted any other person so how can update my mobile number.

    1. comment-author
      Rishabh Ranjan

      Hi Mallela,

      If you were referring to changing your mobile number on the EPFO portal, then here’s what you need to do:

      Visit this page, enter the UAN, Captcha, and click on Forgot Password and follow the instructions. Here’s a detailed blog on how you can change your mobile number.

      As for linking your Aadhaar on the EPFO portal, open the EPFO website, log in, enter your Aadhaar details in the empty field under Manage > Basic and hit Save. The request for approval will then go to your employer.

  5. comment-author
    Haneef qureshi

    Hi, sir
    I have uan number but number is not activated.
    Through member Id name is not matching.
    Aadhar and pan details not matching.
    Note:through member id only name is not matching.
    Through aadhar and PAN entered details not matching.
    After entered Member Id for get uan number it shows as ‘ not UAN found against details.
    Please give me suggestions

    1. comment-author
      Rishabh Ranjan

      Hi Haneef,

      You need to contact your employer with all your correct details. If your details don’t match the records, then you can submit the joint declaration form to the employer with necessary enclosures for correction in PF records. Once the corrections are administered, you will be able to activate your UAN.

  6. comment-author
    Dhruv Joshi

    I have lost my phone number registered with Uan. I cannot activate UAN. Please help me how to resolve this. I have never activated UAN. Now when I am trying to activate UAN. I do not have my number.

    1. comment-author
      Rishabh Ranjan

      Hi Dhruv,

      You can change his mobile number on the UAN portal by clicking the ‘Forgot Password’ option. Here’s the link where you can find it:

      As soon prompts for the UAN and Captcha, you need to feed in the details and then hit ‘Submit’.

      Then you will see this prompt: ‘Do you wish to send OTP on the above mobile number? : Yes No’

      Here click on ‘No’, verify your details on the next page and proceed.

  7. comment-author

    Hai Sir
    Im Baskkaran. Employed in Private concern and and at the age of 47 years i came in VRS in July 2007
    and now I have completed 60 years. Till date i have not claimed my PF amount. I want to withdraw
    all my PF contributions as well as pension contribution too.
    Wheather ii is possible to withdraw my pension contribution not opting for pension in future
    If yes, what form i should fill.

    Kindly clarify.

    1. comment-author
      Rishabh Ranjan

      Hi Baskkaran,

      If you have less than 10 years of contributions then you can withdraw both PF and Pension amounts accumulated in your PF account number.

      In case your contributions exceed 10 years you can only claim PF. As for the pension amount, you will get a certain sum on a monthly basis; however, you will have to submit all the necessary documents.

  8. comment-author

    Hallo, Rishabhji,
    I was working in a limited company in 2004 – 2006, the PF was deducted from my monthly salary, company issued me a PF Number. I do not have UAN & Member ID. Now I am trying to find the PF Balance but I am unable to do the procedure with PF number which I have. I tried to get UAN & member ID but I could not get through. How can I get the UAN Number & Member ID.

    1. comment-author
      Rishabh Ranjan

      Hi Omanakumari,

      UAN was allotted by the EPFO during the year 2014. Any employee who resigned before 2014 will not have a UAN.

      On the basis of the PF Number, an employee can either approach the employer or the respective PF office to know details about PF accumulations.

    1. comment-author
      Rishabh Ranjan

      Hi K Paramesh,

      You need to link your current mobile number to your Aadhaar card. Once done, you can link your Aadhaar to your UAN as part of KYC so that you can avail the online PF benefits. Please note that linking of the updated Aadhaar Number to your UAN as part of the KYC process has to be approved by your employer through Digital Signature Certificate (DSC).

  9. comment-author
    Mithilesh Tiwari

    Sir, my date of birth is wrong and we did not take the correction letter from our company and submit the information in the drop box of Aadhaar card PANCARD sub puff office Bandra

    1. comment-author
      Rishabh Ranjan

      Hi Mithilesh,

      You can complete the submission online by logging into the EPFO portal with your UAN and password. Keep your Aadhaar Card handy. This option will be under “ Modify Details” after successfully logging in.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Statutory Compliance for HR

Statutory Compliance for HR

Shalini L Feb 18, 2021 2:10 PM

All organisations, irrespective of their size and stature need to abide by certain rules and regulations. Failing which strict legal actions can be taken against…

Everything about conveyance allowance

Everything about conveyance allowance

Rishabh Ranjan Feb 17, 2021 10:10 AM

As an employer or HR manager, you might be bogged down about how conveyance allowance works and how much money should be budgeted for it….

E-filing Income Tax in India

E-filing Income Tax in India

Subin Feb 17, 2021 8:46 AM

Many have heard of the terms — income tax e-filing and income tax returns, but very few know what they are and what documents are…

File your Income Tax Returns Online with Ease

File your Income Tax Returns Online with Ease

Subin Feb 16, 2021 1:57 PM

You want to file an income tax return online for a salaried employee. But don’t know how to do so? We have outlined for you…

Gratuity: Check Eligibility, Gratuity Formula, Calculation

Gratuity: Check Eligibility, Gratuity Formula, Calculation

Subin Feb 15, 2021 1:33 PM

Before we get into its eligibility, formula and calculation, let us first understand what gratuity is. This information will help you acknowledge its significance and…

Subscribe For Newsletter

Subscribe to get the latest news and happenings around recruitment space

Please hold while we process the request.