UAN stands for Universal Account Number which is a unique 12-digit number assigned to every member of Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) to access and manage their PF accounts easily.
Salaried individuals can access and manage their PF accounts on the UAN e-Sewa portal including KYC details and their service details.
How to register a UAN for a new employee?
Any company with more than 20 employees is required to go through EPF UAN registration online.
For a person who started working for the first time, the establishment has to generate a new UAN by following the below process:
- Go to the employer’s portal.
- Log in with your establishment ID and password.
- Go to the member section and select “Register individual”.
- Enter all the details of the employee like Aaadhar card, PAN and bank details.
- Approve all the details and a new UAN is generated.
- Now this UAN can be linked with the new employee’s PF account by using other EPFO online services.
How to generate UAN using Aadhaar card:
Anyone can self-generate a UAN by using Aadhaar card details by using the mobile number registered with UIDAI. The steps are:
- Access the EPF portal for an employee
- “Online Aadhaar Verified UAN allotment” should be selected here.
- On the next screen enter Aadhaar number and click on “Generate OTP”
- An OTP would be received on your registered mobile number.
- The next screen would show details of the user based on the Aadhaar number. User can modify any details s/he wants.
- User clicks on “Register” and a new UAN are generated and allotted to the user.
How to activate UAN?
To activate a UAN, one has to do the following:
- Go to Member Home
- Click on “Activate UAN” link under section “Important Links” on the right-hand side corner.
- On the next page enter all the mandatory fields and click on “Generate Authorization PIN”
- Enter the PIN received on your registered mobile number and click submit. system-generated password would be sent to your mobile number.
- You can now login by entering the new password received.
- It is recommended to change this system-generated password.
Other information on UAN member portal:
There is a lot of information one can view using the EPFO online services by logging into the UAN portal. Enter the Username, password and login through the EPFO member login screen.
Once logged in one can view the following information from the “View” tab:
- Full EPF profile like UAN, Name, Birth Date, Gender, Aadhaar, PAN, Bank Account Number, Mobile Number and Email can be seen.
- You can only edit your mobile number and email ID on this screen.
- Service history tab would show details like establishment name, establishment ID, date of joining and date of Exit of both EPF and EPS.
- UAN card is downloadable for offline PF withdrawal.
- EPF Passbook can be accessed under the “view” tab
One can manage the following information from the “Manage” tab
- Email id and registered mobile number can be added or edited
- KYC details can be uploaded.
Under the “Online Service” tab one can avail the following:
- Claim a full or partial withdrawal of PF with the help of forms 31, 19 and 10C.
- Transfer PF amount from the previous account to the current provided:
KYC details are updated against the UAN.
Your previous and current bank account details exist against your UAN.
- Track status of EPF claim status.
UAN customer care details:
For any issues related to EPF portal, one can reach out to the UAN helpdesk via any of the following methods:
Call toll-free number 1800 11 8005 between 9.15 Am to 5.45 PM
Email to email@example.com.
Going to the website Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation and raising an issue.
Contact any of the regional offices listed at Contact Us
The final word
UAN has made it easy for the organization as well as employees to transfer and withdraw PF. All PF accounts of any individual are linked in a single framework for easy access.